- You should not feel guilty.
- You have not done anything “wrong” in your life that caused breast cancer.
- You CANNOT “catch” breast cancer from other women who have the disease.
- Breast cancer is NOT caused by stress or by an injury to the breast.
- Most women who develop breast cancer DO NOT have any known risk factors or a history of the disease in their families.
- Getting older DOES increase your risk of getting breast cancer, starting at the age of 40 and continuing into your 80s.
follow site Breast cancer is the most common cancer diagnosed in women today. It even occurs in a small number of men.
- In California alone, close to 20,000 women are diagnosed with breast cancer each year.
- In the United States, close to 200,000 women are diagnosed with breast cancer each year.
- All ages and races are affected: 1 in 9 white, 1 in 11 African-American, and 1 in 20 Hispanic and Asian women will develop breast cancer during their lifetimes.
here You have more choices for treatment when breast cancer is found early. Also, treatments have changed. Today, many women who are diagnosed with breast cancer DO NOT have to lose a breast. Even when breast cancer is not found early, you still have choices. Because there are new ways to treat breast cancer, it is more important than ever for you to learn all you can. Working with a team of specialists, you play a key role in choosing your treatment.
For additional resources on Breast Cancer, feel free to visit the following websites.